Thursday, December 6, 2012

Reflection

I don't even want to talk about this because it was so embarrassing what I first wrote. I wasn't too far from the truth, but I still wasn't close enough. And that alone was enough to make me shake my head at everything I wrote the firs time the questions were asked. Like many people, I thought feminism was solely a movement for the rights of women. I had no idea what intersectionality was. In fact, I had never heard of the word before. I think it's really interesting though, because most people who haven't been informed about feminism wouldn't that all these issues would intersect with feminism because they haven't been told what feminism is in the first place. Which is kind of sad, to be honest, because I feel like feminism is something that needs to be shared with people, especially the closed minded.

My thoughts about the country's state of inequality (inequity?) are the same as they were at the beginning of the semester, but now I have substancial information about why it is, and how it is, and what we can do to change it. I can say with confidence how this country is screwed up and why we don't live in a post-feminist, post-racist, society and why there is such a lack of disconnect between peoples of all kind in the United States. I'm just a lot more passionate about feminism and equality than I was before I took this class. I just want to stand in front of a bunch of people and tell them to get their heads out of their butts and realize that they ideology they have come to know as ~the norm~ is not something that should be believed in because it's straight up horse crap.

BUT ANYWAY. I just think the change I underwent in three months so huge that it's interesting to look at how little knowledge I had about social justice I had. Also a little embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment