Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Boys Will Be Bo--Oh shut up.

I absolutely agree with every point Jessica raised in her post. My favorite one had to be the quote she chose with gave light to the fact that these authors were only focusing on one type of "boys" and generalizing it for the whole gender. Like she said, it is unfair and excludes the rest of them. I know that different cultures teaches their boys different ways of behaving, however, I also know that in the end, the "boys will be boys" mentality is still there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are different ways to get to that mentality, and these authors are talking about just one: being a white, privileged boy who grew up in a setting where he was surrounding by people who are like him. How are Black boys, or Hispanic boys, or Asian boys influenced by all this? Is it still in the media for them? Or is it in the way that they are raised? Lets not forget about those boys who are gay. Where do they fit in all this. Do they still have to follow the Boy Code and give into the pressure placed on them and act "manly"? I find this whole ideology of masculinity (yes, I do think it's an ideology and not in our nature to be violent - I don't speak for my whole gender, but look at me; I've never been in a fight, and I cry whenever I want, dammit) ridiculous and I'm so glad that I managed to get a new perspective on it; the feminist perspective. I can finally see how feminism can be one (and maybe the only) way to eradicate the idea of masculinity.

In the end, I agree with the initial point that Jessica raised in her post. We need to see studies done on many types of boys (race, sexuality, backgrounds), and then come back and tell share your findings. Because that is fair.

(Oh, this is extended comment btw~)

1 comment:

  1. yea i agree with you too, Jessica made a lot of good points, and so did you too.

    ReplyDelete