Monday, October 22, 2012

The World of Advertising is Screwed Up

I've been trying to think of the perfect time to introduce this video to the class, because I really like it, and after reading Peggy Orenstein's Cinderalla Ate My Daughter, I finally found the opportunity to think so. The video is called Toy Ads and Learning Gender by YouTuber Anita Sarkeesian focusing on the double standard and sexist advertising targeted to young boys and girls. It's a great video that shows just how early gender roles (and also masculinity vs. femininity) are established by the advertising world.


This is another video of Anita that focuses on LEGO and how they clearly target boys and girls differently, where a boy gets to build a castle and defend the land, and a girl gets a pink house where she can bake and look pretty.

(P.s. this is the hyperlink!)

1 comment:

  1. Both these videos ruined the way I watched commercials , but the video's bring up good points.

    ReplyDelete